Avadana Stories Main Page | Avadana Stories Contents List | Avadana Outline Page | Shakyamuni Buddha Main Page | Shakyamuni Buddha Outline Page | Related Jataka Sets
Database Search: All Images
The one hundred stories are based on the Leaves of the Heaven Tree a text composed by the Kashmiri poet Kshemendra (11th century). That text in turn is based on the Avadana stories from the Buddhist Pali canon of authoritative Buddhist scripture.
Avadana Stories in a Single Composition
The Situ Panchen composition contains 23 paintings.
Avadana Painting Sets:
- American Museum of Natural History Set 1
- American Museum of Natural History Set 2
- American Museum of Natural History Set 3
- Asian Art Museum Set
- Avadana (Lhalungpa)
- Beijing Set
- Blockprint Set
- Brooklyn Museum of Art Set
- Field Museum of Natural History Set 1
- Field Museum of Natural History Set 2
- Kumar Set
- Lhasa Set
- Norbulingka Institute Set (complete)
- Rubin Museum Misc. 1
- Shechen Archives Set 1
- Shechen Archives Set 2
- Situ Panchen Design: Avadana (various collections & mixed sets)
- Tibet House, India Set
- Tibetan Painted Scrolls Set
Jeff Watt 3-2003 [Updated 1-2013]
Leaves of the Heaven Tree, the Great Compassion of the Buddha by Padma Chopel, 19th century. (Based on the Bodhisattvavadanakalpata of Kshemendra, 11th century). Translated by Deborah Black. Berkeley: Dharma Publishing, 1997.
[The images below are only a selection. Please select the links above for specific collections or all images].