Taglung Tangpa Chenpo, Tashi Pel (1142-1210): founder of Taglung Monastery (1180), central Tibet - north of Lhasa, the head monastery for the Taglungpa sub-lineage of the Marpa Kagyu School. There is an inscription and blessing sanctification on the back of the painting attributed to Onpo Rinpoche. These dedications are currently dated to circa 1272.
At the top center is the Tibetan Lama Pagmodrupa, the teacher of Tashi Pel. At the left are blue Vajradhara, followed by Tilopa and Naropa in the appearance of mahasiddhas. At the right side are Marpa, Milarepa and Gampopa.
Descending at the left are Shakyamuni Buddha, Sahaja Chakrasamvara, a lama figure performing the teaching gesture with the hands, followed by white Vajrasattva with the right leg pendant.
Descending at the right side are white Chaturbhuja Avalokiteshvara, red Vajravarahi, a lama figure with the two hands placed in the meditation gesture in the lap, followed by white Ushnishavijaya.
At the bottom left is a donor figure in the appearance of a monk and seated before an elaborate shrine. Following from the left is a blue heruka figure holding a vajra upraised in the right hand, blue-black Chaturbhuja Mahakala, white Aparajita, red sow-faced four-armed Vajaravarahi, red Kurukulla with four-arms and red Vajravarahi.
8. Taglung Tangpa Chenpo
9. Indian Siddha figure
10. Indian Pandita figure
11. Shakyamuni Buddha
12. Chaturbhuja Avalokiteshvara
13. Sahaja Heruka Chakrasamvara
15. Lama figure
16. Lama figure
19. Heruka (?)
20. Chaturbhuja Mahakala
22. Arta Siddhi Varaha
Jeff Watt 4-2001
(For additional information see Notes on a Taglung Portrait by Jane Casey Singer).