Worldly Protector (Buddhist) - Dorje Shugden
(item no. 90554)

Tibet

1900 - 1959

Gelug Lineage

Ground Mineral Pigment on Cotton

Collection of Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art


 
Add to My Gallery


Take a closer look

Dorje Shugden (English: the Vajra Possessing Strength): worldly protector of the Gelugpa School. (See the Dorje Shugden Main Page and Outline Page).

Dark red in colour with one face and two hands he holds in the right a curved sword with a vajra handle. In the left hand is a human heart with a mongoose perched on the left forearm and a vajra hook leaning against the shoulder. He is very fierce with three red glaring eyes and a gaping mouth with the canine teeth exposed. Richly attired in monastic robes, silk brocades, and a yellow riding hat of Chinese origin, he is completely surrounded by orange flames. The mount is a mythical Tibetan snow lion, white with a green-blue mane, fierce in appearance with a snarling face - gazing up at Dorje Shugden as an expression of respect.

At the top center is the primordial buddha Vajradhara, blue, with one face and two hands holding a vajra and bell. At the left is a Gelugpa lama wearing monastic robes and a yellow pandita hat. At the right is Green Tara with one face and two hands, holding a lotus in the left. At the bottom center are three skullcups arranged with offerings of nectar, the five senses and blood.

Dorje Shugden is an avowed protector. In his former birth he is believed to have been the Gelugpa Lama Trakpa Gyaltsen of Drepung Monastery and a contemporary of the Great Fifth Dalai Lama.

Jeff Watt 6-1998


View other items in:
Thematic Set
Buddhist Protectors, Worldly Deities
Collection of Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art
Buddhist Protectors: Worldly (Gelug)
Buddhist Deity: Dorje Shugden Main Page
Subject: Protectors - Worldly Protectors Considered Wisdom Deities
Buddhist Deity: Dorje Shugden Riding a Lion
Collection of Southern Alleghenies: Protectors



Copyright © 2014 Shelley and Donald Rubin Foundation.
Photographed Image Copyright © 2004 Southern Alleghenies Museum of Art