|Collection||Ariana Maki Photographic Archive|
Trongsa Dzong; location: Trongsa district. In 1543, Yongdzin Ngagi Wangchuk (yongs 'dzin ngagi dbyang phyug, 1517-1554) was traveling when after experiencing a vision of the deity Palden Lhamo (Shri Devi). He founded a small hermitage at the site and began to attract disciples. When Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyal (zhabs drung ngag dbang rnam rgyal, 1594-1651) arrived almost a century later, he was looking to expand his rule to include central Bhutan. He, along with the Third Druk Desi Minjur Tenpa (mi 'gyur brtan pa, r. 1667-1680) identified the hermitage as being an ideal site for a new dzong. In 1644, Minjur Tenpa began building Trongsa Dzong (krong gsar rdzong), also known as Druk Minjur Chokhor Rabten Tse Dzong ('brug mi 'gyur chos 'khor rab brtan rtse rdzong). The Trongsa Dzong became the headquarters of the Trongsa Penlop (dpon slob; governor), and in 1907, the then-Trongsa Penlop Ugyen Wangchuk (o rgyan dbang phyug, 1862-1926) became the first hereditary King of Bhutan. The site has undergone numerous expansions and renovations over the years, accounted for by Phuntsho (2009) as follows: "Trongsa Poenlop Sherab Lhundrup built the goenkhang in 1667 that was consecrated by Gyalse Tenzin Rabgey. Trongsa Poenlop Pekar built the lhakhangs of Gyelwa Jampa, Drolma and Namgyalma in 1770. In 1715, Trongsa Penlop Druk Dhendup built the temple of Chenrezig which was later renovated in 1972 by the second King. The golden pinnacle on Lam Lhakhang and Tshepagmed Lhakhang were installed by Tronga Penlop Druk Phuntsho and consecrated by Penchen Tenzin Choegyal. In 1853, Trongsa Penlop Jigme Namgyal built the Dechog Lhakhang. The second king His Majesty Jigme Wangchuk built Zinchung Wogma and Jigjed Lhakhang in 1972." (220) For more information on Trongsa Dzong, see Phuntsho, "Trongsa Dzong" in Indigenous Facts of Bhutan: Proceedings of the Third Colloquium on the Tangible and Intangible Culture of Bhutan, 217-222, 2009.
Ariana Maki 3-2012