Twenty-one Taras (Panchen Lama) | Twenty-one Taras (Atisha) | Tara Main Page (Paintings) | Twenty-one Taras Outline Page | List of Names
Nine of the twenty-one Taras according to the system and lineage of Dipamkara Atisha. The top left corner of each composition depicts a major meditational deity of the Gelug Tradition. The top right corner depicts a previous or post incarnation of the Panchen Lama incarnation line, beginning with the 3rd Panchen, Lobzang Palden Yeshe in the first composition. At the bottom of each composition are one, two or three of the principal and minor protector deities of the Gelug Tradition.
1. Tara (center)
2. Panchen Incarnation (top right)
3. Meditational Deity (top left
4. Protector Deity/deities (bottom)
Names of the Twenty-one Taras, Panchen Incarnations, Deities & Protectors:
1. Tara Very Heroic, 3rd Panchen Lobzang Palden Yeshe, Dalai Lama, Vajrabhairava, Magzor Gyalmo, Dorje Setrab, Chingkarwa.
2. Tara Radiant White Moon, Subhuti.
3. Tara Golden Coloured, Yashas.
4. Tara Crown Ornament of the Conqueror, Bhaviveka.
5. Tara Resounding with Hum, Abhayakara Gupta.
6. Tara Victorious Over the Three Worlds, Go Lotsawa.
7. Tara Defeating Adversaries, Sakya Pandita.
8. Tara Treasure of Supreme Power, Yungton Dorje Pal, Rakta Yamari, Bhagavan (Sadhu) Mahakala.
9. Tara Bestowing Wishes, Kedrub, Tsongkapa on an elephant, Heruka Vajrabhairava, Shadbhuja Mahakala.
10. Tara Dispelling Sorrow, Sonam Choglang.
11. Tara Clearing All Misfortune, Ensapa, Mahachakra Vajrapani, Yama Dharmaraja.
12. Tara Auspiciously Shining, 1st Panchen Chokyi Gyaltsen.
13. Tara Completely Ripening, 2nd Panchen, Lobzang Yeshe, Manjushri, Heruka Vajrabhairava, Dorje Setrab, Chingkarwa.
14. Tara With a Frown, (Unknown).
15. Tara Treasure of Virtue and Goodness, (Unknown).
16. Tara Destroyer of Attachment, (Unknown).
17. Tara Accomplishing Happiness, Ghantapa, Heruka Chakrasamvara, Chaturbhuja Mahakala.
18. Tara Greatly Increasing , Padmasambhava, Heruka Akshobhyavajra Guhyasamaja, 'Inner' Yama Dharmaraja, Dorje Setrab.
19. Tara Burning Suffering, Jowo Atisha, Heruka Akshobhyavajra Guhyasamaja, red wrathful deity, 'Secret' Yama Dharmaraja.
20. Tara Giving Rise to Attainments, (Unknown).
21. Tara Accomplishing the Complete Perfection, (no lineage figures or teachers), Amitayus Buddha, Green Tara, White Tara, Shadbhuja Mahakala, Sita (white) Mahakala, Vaishravana Riding a Lion.
Jeff Watt 2-2003 [updated 5-2013]