|Date Range||1700 - 1799|
|Lineages||Gelug and Buddhist|
|Material||Ground Mineral Pigment on Cotton|
Lama Tsongkapa (1357-1419): founder of the Gelugpa School, with the two principal students, Gyaltsab on the left and Khedrub on the right.
In the appearance of a monastic scholar with a yellow pandita hat and the orange patchwork robes of a fully ordained monk he performs with both hands the gesture of Dharma teaching at the heart while holding the stems of two lotus flowers blossoming at both ears supporting on the right a wisdom sword and at the left a book. With the two legs folded in vajra posture he sits upon a moon disc and blue-green lotus seat surrounded by a golden nimbus. At the front, to the right and left, sit the two close disciples of Je Rinpoche, Gyaltsap Dharma Rinchen (1364-1432) and Kedrub Geleg Pal Zangpo (1385-1438). Both wear monastic robes and yellow hats.
"From the heart of the Lord of the hundred gods of Tushita, on the peak of a cloud, bright white like a mound of fresh yogurt, Lord of Dharma, Omniscient Lobzang Dragpa, together with sons; please come here." (Gelugpa liturgical verse).
At the top center is Shakyamuni Buddha. At the left side is Maitreya Bodhisattva. On the right side is Lokeshvara. Slightly below on the left is Green Tara. Slightly below on the right side is White Tara.
At the bottom of the composition from the viewers left to right are the protectors Vaishravana Riding a Lion, Shadbhuja Mahakala and Yama Dharmaraja with the consort Chamundi.
Jeff Watt 7-2015