Eight Wrathful Ones | Gelug Main Page | Gelug Number Sets
In the past these Eight Wrathful Ones have often been mistakenly confused and conflated with Protector Deities (Dharmapala). They are however not a group of protectors but rather a group of wrathful deities special for the Gelug School of Tibetan Buddhism. The title - Eight Wrathful Ones - is a unique Gelug tradition designation and not shared by other traditions. The list contains two meditational deities (ishtadevata), four wisdom protector deities and two worldly deities. There are several different lists of the Eight Wrathful Ones. The list below is one of the more commonly known.
The Eight Wrathful Ones are:
1. Vajrabhairava (ishtadevata),
2. Hayagriva (ishtadevata),
3. Shadbhuja Mahakala (Wisdom Protector),
4. Shri Devi Magzor Gyalmo (Wisdom Protector),
5. Begtse Chen (Wisdom Protector),
6. Yama Dharmaraja (Wisdom Protector),
7. Vaishravana Riding a Lion (Worldly Protector),
8. Shangpa (Worldly Protector).
Jeff Watt 2-2006