Dalai Lama Painting Sets | Dalai Lama Main Page
Subjects, Topics & Types:
- Dalai Lama Painting Sets Description (below)
- Incarnation Lineages Main Page
Painting Sets - Nartang Monastery Block Prints:
- Gold Silk Set (Tibet House)
- Tamashige Set (Tokyo, Japan)
- Private Set
- Private Set (Beijing)
- Miscellaneous & Partial Sets
Painting Sets Miscellaneous:
- American Museum of Natural History Set
- Field Museum Set (Chicago)
- Wood Block Set (Prajnaparamita)
- Artist Kazi Lazo Set (Chamdo)
- Previous Incarnations (Misc.)
- 7th Dalai Lama Secret Biography Set
The only complete painting sets of the Dalai Lama incarnation lineage are the Gold Silk Set of Tibet House, New Delhi, and the five composition set of the Field Museum, Chicago. Both sets use the same exact iconographic model. The Tibet House set is unpainted while the Field Museum is fully painted and one of the finest examples known.
Unlike the subject of the Panchen Lamas, the Dalai Lama subject has very few paintings where the incarnation lineage is composed within a single painting. Only one example is represented here - single composition full lineage.
(The images below are all from partial and broken sets).
Jeff Watt [updated 11-2014]