Vairochana-like Buddha Appearance | Vairochana Buddha Main Page
Subjects, Topics & Types:
- Vairochana-like Buddha Appearance Description (below)
- Buddha Number Sets
- Buddha Main Page
Buddhas that perform the teaching gesture:
- Akshobhya (Ten Directions Buddha Set)
- Dharmakirti Sagara (Medicine Buddha Set)
- Dipamkara (Buddha of the Past)
- Maitreya Buddha (The Buddhas of the Three Times)
- Padma (Ten Directions Buddha Set)
- Ratnasambhava (Ten Directions Buddha Set)
- Shakyamuni Buddha
- Suvarnabhadra Vimala (Medicine Buddha Set)
- Vairochana Buddha (Ten Directions Buddha Set)
- Buddhas from the Three Systems of the Thirty-five Confession Buddhas
- Buddhas from the iconographic systems of the One Thousand Buddhas
Vairochana Buddha can commonly appear in either Buddha Appearance (without ornaments) or Peaceful Deity Appearance (with ornaments). In complex Tantric forms Vairochana can take other appearances as well such as having multiple faces, arms, colours and also embracing a consort.
In Buddha Appearance Vairochana can appear indistinguishable from other buddhas. Identification is often dependent on inscriptions, context or colour - with paintings.
For example this Mongolian Buddha sculpture on the upper right side can be either from a set of the  Buddhas of the Three Times, a set of  Medicine Buddha Brothers, a set of the  Buddhas of the Ten Directions, a set of  Thirty-five Confession Buddhas, or a set of the  Five Symbolic Buddhas. Without a name inscription, or a placement notation, or some kind of indication, it is impossible to know exactly who this figure was intended to represent.
Jeff Watt 1-2016 [updated 3-2019]