Eight Heruka Main Page
Subjects, Topics & Types:
- Block Print Set (Prajnaparamita)
- Longchen Nyingtig Set (Initiation Cards)
- Painting Set: HAR #19843
- Confusions: Eight Great Mahasiddha
Video: Eight Vidyadhara
The Eight Vidyadhara are the important Indian teachers associated with the Eight Pronouncement deities of the Nyingma tradition likely originating or promoted first by Nyangral Nyima Ozer (1124/1136- 192/1204 [P364]). Some of the names, such as Nagarjuna, are common and often conflated with the Madyamaka teacher, Arya Nagarjuna, of the 1st/2nd century of the common era. The eight figures are generally found as initiation cards or as secondary figures in painting sets depicting the eight principal forms of Padmasambhava. The Dege Parkang Block Print Set is a good example of all Eight Vidyadhara appearing at the top center of each of the compositions. (See additional HAR examples: #65094, 23380, 15868).
Eight Pronouncement Heruka:
1. Yamari (Manjushri Krodha) - body - Manjushrimitra.
2. Hayagriva - speech - Nagarjuna.
3. Samputa - mind - Humkara.
4. Vajramrita - quality - Vimalamitra.
5. Vajrakila - activity - Prabhahasti (Padmasambhava).
6. Mamo Botong (Matarah) - Dhanasamskrita.
7. Jigten Choto (Lokastotrapuja) - Rambuguhya.
8. Mopa Dranag (Vajramantrabhiru) - Shantigarbha.
Jeff Watt 12-2017 [updated 4-2021]