Winged Deities | Buddhist Iconography
Subjects, Topic & Types:
- Winged Deities Explanation
- Animal Headed/Features God & Deities
- Lhago Topa
- Magyu Sangchog Tartug
- Purba Drugse Chempa
- Walchen Gekho
- Werma Nyinya
- Chakrasamvara (Indrabhuti, Bari Lotsawa)
- Guhyagarbha Terma Tradition Heruka Deities
- Mahottara Heruka (3 Faces)
- Mahottara Heruka (21 Faces)
- Eight Pronouncement Heruka Deities:
-- 1. Yamari (Manjushri Krodha) - body - Manjushrimitra.
-- 2. Hayagriva - speech - Nagarjuna.
-- 3. Samputa - mind - Humkara.
-- 4. Vajramrita - quality - Vimalamitra.
-- 5. Vajrakila - activity - Padmasambhava.
-- 6. Mamo Botong (Matarah) - Dhanasamskrita.
-- 7. Jigten Choto (Lokastotrapuja) - Rambuguhya.
-- 8. Mopa Dranag (Vajramantrabhiru) - Shantigarbha.
- Garuda (Naropa, Rechung, 'Terma,' etc.)
- Hayagriva (Atisha Tradition)
- Panjara Mahakala (Padmasambhava, Khon Lu'i Sungwa)
- Shri Devi, Uddhata Vajra Paksha (Padmasambhava, Nyangral)
The male and female deities listed below all have the shared attribute of having a pair of wings. There is no consistency in either the Bon Religion or in Buddhism in determining who should have wings and who shouldn't (except for the Kyung and Garuda - bird deities).
Jeff Watt 8-2014 [updated 6-2017]
(The images below are only a selection of subjects chosen from the links above).