Female Dominant Meditational Deity Couples | Buddhist Iconography Main Page
Subjects, Topics & Types:
- Female Dominant Meditational Deity Couples Description (below)
- Gender & Iconography
Forms & Types:
- Tara, Green, 17 Deity Mandala
- Tara, White, with Consort
- Vajrayogini Sahaja, Reversed (seated)
- Red Sarasvati & Manjushri (Bodong Tradition)
- Vajravarahi, Reversed (Standing with Eight Deity Retinue)
- Shri Devi Rangjung Gyalmo & Bernagchen Mahakala
- Vasudhara & Jambhala
All of the meditational deities listed above are male and female conjoined with the unique characteristic being that the female is the main figure, the dominant deity, and the male deity is smaller and subordinant.
Within the Chakrasamvara cycle of Tantras there is also the possibility of focusing on the conjoined female rather than always self-identifying with the male figure.
Jeff Watt 6-2015 [updated 11-2018]