Parnashavari Main Page
Subjects, Colours & Traditions:
- Iconography Topics
- Outline Page
- Black, wrathful, two hands
- Blue, wrathful, four hands
- Green, peaceful, two hands
- Red, wrathful, two hands
- Yellow, three faces, six hands (All Images)
- Tradition (Mitra Yogin): Yellow, Five Deity, Three Faces (Standing)
- Tradition (Rinjung Lhantab): Five Traditions
- Tradition (Sakya): Yellow, three faces, six hands (Kneeling)
- Tradition (Sakya): Green, peaceful, two hands
- Tradition (Segyu): Yellow, Three Deity, three faces (Kneeling)
- Janguli - Parnashavari Comparison
- Confusions: Janguli, Padma Shavari
Nyingma 'Treasure' Tradition:
- Dudul Dorje
There are numerous forms of Parnashavari that are primarily differentiated by  colour,  posture,  numbers of faces & limbs, and  religious tradition.
"...the Bhagavan Parnashavari with a body the colour of pure gold; with three faces, six hands; the main yellow face is slightly smiling and slightly wrathful. The right face is white with a calm expression. The left face is red with an expression of desire; each of the three faces has three eyes. The first right hand holds a vajra at the heart; second, an axe in the manner of striking; third, brandishing an arrow. The first left holds a vajra lasso wound around the fore-finger; second, a fan of new leaves with fruit and flowers hanging; third a bow; adorned with various flowers and jewels. Having an upper garment of red cloth of divine material and a lower garment of new leaves thatched together and adorned with many flowers and fruit. With long hair in a tuft, bound upward by a jeweled white snake and in the prime of youth; the body is very beautiful, dexterous and slightly wrathful. The knee of the right leg is pressing down on the seat and the heel is positioned underneath in support. The left is being raised up, seated in a haughty manner." (Thartse Panchen Namkha Palzang. sGrub Thabs Kun bTus, vol.6, fol.603-607).
Database Search: All Images | Painting | Sculpture
Jeff Watt 5-2003 [updated 9-2016, 6-2017, 1-2020]
(The images below are only a selection of examples from the links above).